Thursday, March 28, 2019

GIU 2019 Day 4- Tetradic Colors

Are you all ready for a bit of obscure color theory?  Today we are going deep into the color wheel and using a system of finding 4 colors that belong together.  For a tetradic or "rectangle" color palette, you need to choose colors that form a rectangle.  Check out the color wheel below.

Now you can move the rectangle in any direction and still get a group of colors that are interesting together.  Why do these work?  Well, first off, the four are actually two sets of complementary colors.  Notice the red and the green with the orange and the blue.  As I was reading up on the tetradic colors, they said that it works best if you let one color be more dominant.  So that is what I did.  

For my color palette of tetradic colors, I chose red-violet, red-orange, yellow-green, and blue-green (teal).  These colors are very rich and bold.  So instead of trying to use them all in one card, I decided to use them as bases for a set of magnets I was making.  So I used my red, blue, and yellow acrylic paints to mix my colors and make a solid base.   The little canvases had built-in magnets!  How cool!  And for 9 cents more than the plain, I had to pick some up.

I stamped each of the florals on white mixed media paper, and colored them with the contrasting colors to each of my magnet bases (red-violet base got a yellow-green flower).  When I was coloring the florals, I left them very light because the bases were so color rich. 


Then I stamped four floral images by Holly Hoffman on white tissue paper and Modge Podged them onto the magnets. The florals I used were Blossoming Beauty and Wild Florals.  Then I fussy cut out the colored florals and Modge Podged those to the floral tissue papered bases.




To add finishing touches, I painted some of the leaves and filigree white to add more contrast, and I distressed the edges of each canvas with black ink to add depth.  However, they still seemed to be missing something.


So, I stamped some sweet simple sentiments from a few adorable kits.  The sentiments I used came from Many Happy Birdies, Little Sunshine, and I'm Obsessed Birdies.  I stamped the sentiments in the distress oxides colors peacock feathers, peeled paint, abandoned coral, and seedless preserves and embossed them with clear embossing powder.  I modge podged those last.


This was one of those finicky projects I might not do again, but I wanted to try something different.  I think they all look great as a set.  My challenge to you is to make a set of something using tetradic colors.  Maybe you'll make a set of cards.  Maybe you'll make a set of coasters. Or maybe you'll try out making canvas magnets like me!  Whatever you try, be sure to post it on the Unity Show and Tell, and use the hashtag #colortheorywithShannon so I can see your projects.  

Also, be sure to comment on my blog below to be entered to win a prize pack from Unity Stamp Company.  The two winners will be selected at the beginning of next week, and will be sent 25 delicious red rubber stamps from Unity!  

Make sure you come back tomorrow to see my "trippy" project...

44 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these...now I want to make more magnets...I may steal your ideas... <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. The magnets are gorgeous but not a project I will tackle!😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. They are a once a year at best project for me.

      Delete
  3. Wow--these turned out fabulous and thanks for explaining tetradic colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These magnets came out amazing! Great coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those magnets! And I love reading the theory info! Now maybe I might not be afraid to try other color combos!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so beautiful!! I would love to try making these someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the flowers and the process. Going to try this soon. Where did you find the canvases with magnets?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun project. These would be loved by anyone! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally love this project, I really appreciated that you said every specific color that you used thank you Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really pretty set and the colors do work nicely together, although not what I would have first picked out. I also like the idea of using tissue paper to stamp and put on with Modge Podge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore these and I am very much enjoying your lessons on coloring and that color wheel and matching. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW, I LOVE these. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this is so informative. I’m loving the idea of this and it has me thinking Christmas ornaments. Don’t ask me why. Yours are beautiful and don’t look anything like Christmas but I guess the concept of small square art projects did it. I am very much in joying your week of color information. Thank you for sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cute! Those magnets would make good gifts. You got my head spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Shannon - I'm loving the color theory lessons! What a beautiful little project - pretty labor intensive though. I hope they're going to someone who will truly appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. AWESOME!!!! I love the magnets!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had never heard of tetradic colors before today... thanks for the explanation. A cool idea for making a set of something. What a lovely magnet set you have made!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are very pretty. I love having a color theory lesson to help make color choices. Deciding what colors go together is always a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great project Shannon! They’re so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so pretty and I am sure alot of time spent but well worth it. I love the color you used and color theory is magical.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these... what a great gift idea! Again, thank you for the color lesson. I learned something today. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are so pretty. The florals just pop! I think I may have to go back and read your Tetradic Colors explanation again however...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, these are so fabulous and fun and such a perfect gift for anyone. I have mini canvases, but they are not so cool as to have their own magnet; love that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love them and want them all!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful❤️ Thanks for all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am learning so much! And I love any suggestion to use my crafting supplies - I'm less likely to feel like a hoarder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another great project and color lesson. Love the rectangle ideas of color. I'll have to try that. Love these stamps, your coloring, and designs. Just a wonderful project. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your colour lessons are so interesting, I love your projects today

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the continuing color info. Your mini canvas magnets turned out nice and anyone would love to have one show up on their fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are amazing! I totally stole your last magnet creations (vintage ladies). This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome magnet project!!! It's incredible, gorgeous, special, creative! Love your idea! Love the coloring. Thanks for coloring lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a fun project! I have added this to my to do list.. I still need to do the other projects from the beginning of the week. Thank you for the cool inspiration 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are so beautiful!! Great colors and so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome project! I love the color wheel info you're sharing with us! Had not heard of the tetradic color palette before.

    ReplyDelete
  35. How amazing, I would display these on my fridge for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for teaching us again. These turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am really loving your teach the different color wheel theories! I really need to bust out my color wheel. What a great idea on the canvas magnets! Now I’m going to have to search/find them and give these a try. Thanks so much for the inspiration and challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  38. How fun... you did a great job on these! Perfect gift or decorating idea!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for the color wheel references...ever the teacher! Great magnets!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the magnets , the flowers are gorgeous 🌻 thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love your magnets!!! Great fun seeing your color theory!!!

    ReplyDelete