Sunday, May 20, 2018

Mrs. Edwards Gets "Lit" as the kids would say

Hello my dear Unies!  Welcome to our Growing In Unity blog hop.  You get to start here with me today, and I am more than excited about that.  Below you will see the blog hop order and you will have the chance to click on other spectacular blogs and comment to win a fabulous prize pack from Unity Stamp Company.  


I have two little projects for you today. For me as a teacher, summer break is coming in 4 DAYS! I can barely believe it.  But with the end of the school year comes the need for graduation cards.  I think light bulbs are a perfect alternative  to owls or cap and gowns for a graduation.


To achieve this effect I stamped with Versafine Onyx black on kraft cardstock.  I used Gina Marie Wonky stitched rectangles for the base.  I stamped the image from the kit See the Light and sentiment. Then I used Prismacolor pencils to give a faint glow.  I used three colors, white, cream, and a goldenrod color. to diffuse the light.  To make it pop a little more, I used a brown ink called Desert Sand to distress the edges. I was struggling with the sequins, so I grabbed a small handful of the colors I wanted, I dropped them, and then picked a couple off and tweaked them to make sure they didn't cover anything important.  It gave me the randomness my eye wanted. I think this card could be a great gender neutral gift for any graduate.

The next mini project is an ATC.  I've been OBSESSED with Artist Trading Cards since my good friend Annie Sterner introduced me to them.  I've been sharing my pieces on the Show and Tell, which you should join if you haven't already.  The ATC I made could be put inside the above card with an encouraging note on the back that a graduate could stick in one of the 300 dollar textbooks they will probably never read.  I say this from experience.  


I didn't want to make all the bulbs from the kit Glowing and Beautiful a traditional yellow or white.  I thought some colorful lights would make the card pop a bit more.  I'll share a tip for how I colored my lights. Caution: I'm not an expert at coloring; I just experiment and do what looks best to me.  I used four shades of the same hue for each light, and started with the darkest color on the outside. I then overlapped lighter colors toward the inside, using white to give the inside of the bulb a glow. After I blended using a colorless blending pencil, I added a couple white glares in the corners of the bulbs and did not blend those. 


As I said before, these projects are just the beginning of the beauty to come.  Please click on all the links below to visit more amazing craft pages and leave them some love.  If you do, you will be in the running to win a crafty prize from Unity Stamp Company, and you know they never skimp on the prizes.



80 comments:

  1. Both of these are fantastic. Love your projects so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love these cards!!!! I never know what to do with a light bulb stamp! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Light bulbs are some of my favorites. Annie Sterner got me hooked.

      Delete
  3. I love both cards very much. Love how you got the bulbs to glow! I always love the light bulb stamps and need to add some to my Unity collection in the future. Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really love these cards especially the bright colors in the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards and thanks for the tip about sequins. I also struggle with making them look random, so dropping them is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both cards. The coloring of the bulbs is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think lightbulbs for a graduate are a fab idea. I love that ATC. The bright bulbs on the kraft are gorgeous. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shannon I seriously am a fan of yours. Your cards are always so creative. Thanks for the inspiration ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just so sweet. I'm glad you enjoyed my creations.

      Delete
  9. Shannon, you never disappoint in inspiring me. I have had the light bulbs in and out of my cart many times. In they go again. Love the cards and especially the use of the different colors on the light bulbs. The other bulbs I would like to try with a kind of vintage barn look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh some barn wood background would be so cute. Great idea.

      Delete
  10. They are fantastic, thank you for the coloring tip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your card and ATC are amazing as usual! Every time I see cards with these light bulbs I think, I gotta get that stamp, but they still haven't made it to my cart yet. Thanks for the lovely inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put them in the cart! There are like 3 more I just have to have!

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing light bulbs I could not imagine what to do with them I have to be honest I love the colored ones but I love color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on your lightbulbs! I love the "glow" you achieved on the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing cards - I love the choice of kraft card stock - it gives both cards so much warmth. And the multi-coloured bulbs? Brilliant! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the coloring. You did a great job. I struggle with the sequins every time. I’ve tried just dropping some like you did but I just never seem happy with where they land :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dropped then tweaked. It wasn't quite perfect, I'll admit.

      Delete
  16. Love your cards! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the idea of light bulbs for graduation cards. And I love coloring with Prismacolors on kraft Way to kick off this fun hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coloring on Kraft is just so fun. It makes the images pop right off the paper. Thanks!

      Delete
  18. Ooooh, love these!! The colored light bulb are fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Light bulbs..cute idea!! Thx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both are great but the colored lights reall captured my fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great coloring and designs. Just lovely cards.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never invested in the light bulb stamps because I wasn't sure that they were in my interest zone. I love your cards. I especially like the first one. You made the lights look vintage. =)
    --Phaline Mays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You gotta give bulbs a try.

      Delete
    2. These light bulb cards are equally amazing. The monochromatic one is great for a masculine card and very thoughtful. The bright colors are happy and cheerful. I need to add these to my wishlist, thanks so much!

      Delete
  23. Both cards are fabulous, Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the pencil coloring on kraft. It's a great look! And
    it looks pretty professional to me (I barely color at all myself).
    tfs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean I've never taken a class or anything, but I do practice a lot. 😁

      Delete
  25. I like that first card quite a bit, especially the shading in the background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jen. I really wanted it to look luminous.

      Delete
  26. The Kraft background lends itself well to the colors

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing. I love your tip with the sequins. I will definitely give that a try next time I get our the sequins. Your coloring is excellent on the light bulbs. Great cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melanie. I'm glad you were able to find a helpful hint.

      Delete
  28. Your lightbulb cards are Amazing! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the vintage card look. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great job, Shannon! I looove the first card, especially!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You know how much I love these

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have 5 weeks to go before school is out. I love the hanging vintage lights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. That is sooo long. I feel for you, sister-friend.

      Delete
  33. Great Cards! Love all your projects! Really need to try coloring on Kraft...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the lightbulbs on kraft paper, especially the colored ones. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Both cards are beautiful. Thanks for the tips on coloring and how you "decided" where to put your sequins! :)

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love both of the cards! And I have some Kraft cards and envelopes I'm going to have to pull out any try!

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are both great. I love the rustic feel you’ve created in the first card. Great details on how to reproduce it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very interesting to have these different versions of this design. My taste is the colorful one but both are great !
    [margessw(at)icloud(dot)com]

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love your cards/coloring! Especially like the light bulb one - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete