Friday, March 16, 2018

One card will make you smile and one will haunt your dreams

My week is coming to a close Unies!  Do you know how hard it has been to make all this awesome and keep it to myself!?  Really, really hard.  My last two cards for the week are extraordinarily different.  I wanted to show you the range of cards you can make from SMAK sets. Not everything has to be distressed or worn looking sometimes you can do sweet and simple like I did with this beauty.

I could not stop looking at this card after I made it.  I started with a piece of kraft cardstock, my Misti, and a mandala from the kit Let it Go. I love this image so much.  I need all the kits in my life that have these shapes.  Bohemian Backgrounds and Love What's Meant to Be would also be amazing with this technique.

Here's how to do it.  Place your stamp where you want it on the card, and pick it up with your MISTI or stamp platform.  Then, starting at the inside, use Distress Oxide in twisted citron and ink up the middle.  Spritz with water that first color and stamp.  Then, wipe it off, and do a ring of the next color, Peacock Feathers, spritz and stamp. Wipe and repeat the process with two more colors, Seedless Preserves and Picked Raspberry.  Spritzing the oxides with water give it that milky effect on the kraft paper.  I love how using the MISTI my image stays perfectly in place so I don't have to worry about continually lining things up.

Once the oxides dried, I found the perfect sentiment to go with my simple card.  "The littlest things in life is where we find real, true joy."  How true, how true.  I feel it when I get a hug from a person I love, when I get a piece of happy mail, when I smell dinner cooking when I get home, or even fresh sheets on my bed.  The sentiment is from the kit Find your Zen.  Double mat with white and black and stick on a coordinating card base.  Instant love.


Another feature of the SMAK sets is the distress style stamps.  The vintage style women were what initially attracted me to the membership.  I love them.  They are just the slightest bit spooky. The newest kit has probably the creepiest gal yet.  My goal is to haunt your dreams with this eerie character.  She is from the newest SMAK called Normal is Boring.

What a creep. Am I right?  I just watercolored her, but something about the angle of her neck and the way her eyes follow me around the room gives me a delightful case of the heebie-jeebies.  

I hope you enjoyed my week.  Comment below with your favorite project, kit you just have to have, or a technique you can't wait to try.  Two people who comment on my blog will receive 25 red rubber stamps courtesy of Unity Stamp Company!  What a prize.  Love you all so much.  Muah.

34 comments:

  1. These are great!!! You did AWESOME this week!!!! I loved all of it!!! Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a wonderful week,I've learned so much and also had so much fun with your creations. Today is not the exception. Your first card is inspirational and creative.I most practice this technique.Thanks for sharing!!!Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this card the colors are my favorites. You have given us so many ideas this week thank you so much for sharing with us. I must play outside of my box and try a card like this one. It is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome week! The colors in your first card are amazing!!!! And you’re right, she is a little haunting! Thank you for giving us so much inspiration and for showcasing the versatility of the stamps!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are truly amazing! Lol she is a little creepy 😜! Wonderful job this week...much love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to try your technique with the distress ink today. That looks like fun. Thank you for sharing your creativity with us this week.(I did win recently, so don't add my name to the pool) Loved everything you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are rocking it again! Yes...I moved and those eyes followed me too. Bht its cool, I like her. Great job on these!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this technique is amazing, I will have to get the courage to try.... the result is so cool! What a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s hard to do all the ones you made were great. I think my favorite was the layout you did. I want to try that with me and the Grands. Really enjoyed your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cindy, you won a prize from my blog. Email me or message me your address so I can send you the prize. smedwards1986@gmail.com

      Delete
  10. Fabulous projects for today!
    Love those colorful backgrounds.
    Thanks for thr 5-days full of inspirations with Unity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous week of projects!!! You hit it out of the ballpark every day! Funny, I like everything about the SMAK kits EXCEPT for the creepy ladies. But that's what is so great about Unity, so many different styles that there is something for everyone. I really want to try the oxide inks technique you shared. Sounds simple, I have the products and I love the way it looks. Thanks for a fantastic week of inspiration and beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These were both fabulous but I can't look that girl in the eye! You rocked your week, Shannon!!! RAWR!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay let me say I felt those girls were creepy but I thought it was just me. Lol, I’m not alone!!! I loved all your designs and creativity. I am just now starting my collection of oxide inks my HL doesn’t carry but a few so been ordering some, I love the chalky effects from them when mixed with water.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for showing the versatility of the SMAK kits. You’ve had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm looking at you!!!!

    You best be sending her my way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just love the technique used on both cards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Two more great cards! Love your inspiration with something different!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What wonderful cards! Thanks for sharing how you made the Mandela card... it is gorgeous with that rainbow effect. The girl is eerie... like the pictures of silent screen stars. Thanks for a fantabulous week of creativity!!!😊❤️

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE the coloring effect on the top one. I'm going to go look at it again, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks....are you going to pay for my therapy sessions???

    ReplyDelete
  21. EEEKS!!! The vintage, "Normal is Boring", girl is looking right at me!!! There is something about craft stock that really makes some colors just glow! I love that card! I always love to see what you post even when you are not a GIU girl. Thanks for all you do to take it over the top! Lots of great ideas and inspiration! It was a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very pretty and unique cards.
    I would love to try the technique you die on the first card.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The first card is sooo pretty; love the colors, the madala, the sentiment. All of it. I didn't get too creeped out over the 2nd card. It's a lovely design at any rate. I have enjoyed you week and thank you for the beautiful inspiration. (There are so many kits and so many techniques, I wouldn't know where to begin! lol).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic week! Love the top card and a technique I will give a go. The creepy chick card is so fun! I have been growing an affinity for them as well, that all started with all the great projects you put on the show and tell. Great week! I wish you were on monthly!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am seeing that girl in a whole new light. I actually thought she wasn't as creepy as some of the others, but now her eyes follow me. Thanks for pointing that out. Great week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The first card is my favorite. I love the colors. The second card does for sure have eyes that follow you! 👀

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the mandalas! I’ve tried stamping with watered down ink, but not coupling with the Misti. Great effect and great cards, will need to switch up membership to SMAK soon. Want to try these gals!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Definitely interesting cards! The second one is absolutely creepy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  29. a fabulous week - I will have to try your mandela stamping = it is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  30. that sentiment with the mandela card is so perfect for the joy you got from creating it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those colors are beautiful Shan! And the misti is AWESOME especially to do cool techniques like the first card.

    ReplyDelete
  32. How could I miss this one!! It is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What an amazing week you had...these projects are both awesome. I love the mandala so much. I love that creepy chick too but she does scare me a bit. Keep on creating friend. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete