Sunday, November 26, 2017

Treat Yo Self

While I love making cards on the daily, I sometimes want to make something for myself.  I decided to make a mini 5X7 art journal that has all kinds of pretty images and inspiring sentiments that are really just for my enjoyment.  Some people use a big journal, but because I work primarily in cards, a 5X7 felt more comfortable to me.  I also use my art journal to try new techniques.

The picture below is my art journal page for the week.  I used so many stamps and techniques for this.  I'll post the stamps I used in the kits used section at the bottom.


I used to be very afraid of getting mess and distress-y, but not anymore.  It's my art journal, so if no one else likes it, who cares!?!?  It only has to make me feel something.

I started with some distress oxides and water color paper.  It started out with these four colors, but I added fossilized amber to the mix because it needed something.  The background smooshing, where I lay down color, spritz with water and plop my watercolor paper in it, was about four layers.  My first layer looked TERRIBLE, so I just kept building up layers.


Then came adding stamps. I used some stamps from my SMAK subscriptions!  I love that membership because it continually takes me out of my comfort zone and forces me to try new techniques!


Next, I wanted to add some paper piecing.  I LOVE paper piecing.  It is one of my favorite techniques because I get to use all my lovely scraps and papers.  I chose Lilli girl because she looks like me when I was in middle and high school.  I wore those overalls until the straps wore out.

Glue, pop dot, matte a sentiment, add some washi tape and... voila. An art journal page that speaks to me!

Make something just for you, today!  Treat Yo Self, and buy some Unity Stamps.  They really are the best, and I'm not being paid to say so. :-)

Kits used:

33 comments:

  1. I was just reminiscing about you and the overalls this morning. I remember shopping with Grandma and you trying them on...when Grandma went to buy them you told her no, that you really didn't want them, because you saw the price tag. She didnt listen and bought them anyway. You pretty much wore them out. Good memories. Love this and you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! Sometimes I wish I still had a pair. I miss Grandma still.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful I like how the back ground is and how you layered everything. Amazing job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great personal idea. We never take care of SELF enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful job! Will enjoy seeing your creations this week and learning new techniques! Great job explaining everything so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I never know how much detail to add in my instructions.

      Delete
  5. I love the colors you chose. I always use blues,purples but you have encouraged me to try something new. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red was not a safe color I often use either. Gotta keep trying new things!

      Delete
  6. How beautiful! Love your background colors, your paper piecing, and the stroll down memory lane! Yep, loved my overalls!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overalls were the bomb. I sometimes wish I had a pair now.

      Delete
  7. Love the jeans. I love paper piecing need a steady hand to cut out pieces. Made a Christmas Card with one love it, do not want to give it away, that is when I think I have done a good job when I do not want to give a card away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving them away is hard. That's why I have a hundred + in my stash.

      Delete
  8. This is great! Love how you put this together and especially the WHY! Also appreciate your step by step sharing of how it came together and what it looked like in the process. I’m not a blogger or follower, but you may be what changes that! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is so kind. Tha k you so much Amy. I'm still new at this, so don't build me up too high in your mind. Haha.

      Delete
    2. Really, you are fairly new to all this? I love your work and you seem like it comes so easily to you, like you have been doing this forever! Soooo creative! Well, that inspires me even more!

      Delete
  9. Great page, Shannon! Thank you for showing the piecing technique! Want to try it, but, just haven't yet... Love this page and the memories behind it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper piecing is my absolute favorite. You'll have to give it a try.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful, just beautiful!! Love that you cose a girl that you identify with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Lilli girl, but Angie Blom makes so many that I adore and relate to. I'll be sure to post some more.

      Delete
  11. I love her overalls. Just... a piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your journal page. And your Redbird!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your journal page. I really need to start an art journal.

    ReplyDelete